To encourage and help Maryland homeowners invest in renewable energy, the Maryland Energy Administration (MEA) provides rebates for solar photovoltaic systems, solar water heating, and geothermal heating & cooling systems. The program terms and conditions can be found in the Funding Opportunity Announcement (FOA) document on the Residential Clean Energy Rebate Program webpage.
If you are applying for a Clean Energy Rebate where the incentive needs to be sent to a different mailing address (e.g., a post office box) than the address where the clean energy technology was physically installed, you will need to instead use the paper application form located on the Residential Clean Energy Rebate Program webpage that can accommodate this situation. Along with the paper Clean Energy Rebate application, you will also need to fill out, sign, and mail MEA an IRS W9 Form confirming your mailing address.
To be eligible for a Residential Clean Energy Rebate:
- The application must be submitted to the MEA within 12 months of installation.
- The installation property must be a residential property and the primary residence of the applicant at the time of application.
Project size must exceed:
- Solar Photovoltaic: 1 kW
- Geothermal: 1 ton
- Solar Water Heating: 10 sq. ft.
- The property may not be held in an irrevocable trust.
Multiple projects on contiguous parcels of property will be considered one project.
The project, property, and applicant must comply with all the terms and conditions outlined in the MEA Fiscal Year 2024 Funding Opportunity Announcement (FOA), which is available on the Residential Clean Energy Rebate Program webpage.
The Application Process
On the following screens, you will provide information about yourself (the applicant), the installation (property, system, contractor), and the required permits. You will also need to provide (in electronic format) the following documentation:
- Photograph(s) showing all components of the installed clean energy system. If the system is a roof-mounted PV or SWH system, the photograph must clearly demonstrate where the system has been installed, with all panels or collectors clearly visible.
- Proof that the project is paid for in full (a copy of the final invoice showing a zero balance).
- Copies of all issued inspection and permit documents as provided by the local authority having jurisdiction (a ‘Passed Final Inspection’ report, sticker or picture).
- Proof that the install address is the applicant’s primary residency. MEA accepts the State Department of Assessments and Taxation (SDAT) Real Property Data Search printout showing the R-CERP applicant as owner and principal resident of the home where the system is installed. Active duty military applicants, and applicants who believe the SDAT result is incorrect, please call MEA to discuss alternate methods to demonstrate primary residence. (410-537-4000)
REQUIRED SIGNATURE SHEET AND IRS FORM W9
After submission, your application will be reviewed, and the homeowner applicant will be contacted via email. The email will contain a signature sheet that the homeowner applicant must print, complete, sign, and return to MEA to complete the R-CERP application. DO NOT use standard email to send your completed signature sheet. You will be given instructions in an email that you will receive from email@example.com that explain how you can submit your signature sheet. Your application cannot be processed without it.
You are also required to submit a complete and signed IRS Form W9 along with your completed and signed signature sheet. Please obtain a copy of the IRS Form W9 here, and complete and sign it. DO NOT use standard email to submit the IRS Form W9 as it contains sensitive information. You can submit the completed and signed IRS Form W9 along with your signature sheet. The email that you receive from firstname.lastname@example.org will provide instructions on how you can submit both at the same time.
The email will be sent from email@example.com to the homeowner applicant's email address immediately after application submission via this portal. Please be on the lookout for this email from firstname.lastname@example.org. If you do not receive it immediately, please check your spam folder. YOUR APPLICATION CANNOT BE PROCESSED UNTIL YOUR SIGNED AND COMPLETE SIGNATURE SHEET, AND COMPLETE AND SIGNED IRS FORM W9, ARE RETURNED TO MEA.