To encourage and help Maryland homeowners invest in clean energy, the Maryland Energy Administration (MEA) provides grants for solar photovoltaic systems, solar water heating, geothermal heating & cooling, and wind turbine systems.
To be eligible for a Residential Clean Energy Grant:
- Grant applications must be submitted to the MEA within 12 months of installation as defined by the Terms and Conditions, found here.
- The installation property must be the primary residence of the owner of a residential property at the time of application.
- Projects must be within the eligible installation size:
- Solar Photovoltaic: 1-20kW
- Geothermal: 1-10 tons
- Solar Water Heating: 10-100 sq. ft.
- The property must not be held in an irrevocable trust.
Multiple projects on contiguous parcels of property will be considered one project. A property may not receive more than one grant per project per fiscal year (‘project’ is defined by the program manager).
The Application Process
On the following screens, you will provide information about yourself (the applicant), the installation (property, system, contractor), and the required permits. You will also need to provide (in electronic format) the following documentation:
- Photograph(s) showing all components of the installed clean energy system. If the system is a roof-mounted PV or SWH system, the photograph must clearly demonstrate where the system has been installed, with all panels or collectors clearly visible.
- Proof that the project is paid for in full (a copy of the final invoice showing a zero balance).
- Copies of all issued inspection and permit documents as provided by the local authority having jurisdiction (a ‘Passed Final Inspection’ report, sticker or picture).
- Proof that the install address is the applicant’s primary residency. This can be in the form of a copy of the appliant's driver’s license, MVA change of address card, or a copy of the SDAT page for the install address.
After submission, your application will be reviewed, and you will be contacted by the MEA.