The first step in establishing a business in the State of Maryland is to determine which form of business structure is most appropriate for your operations. The four most common forms of business structure are the sole proprietorship, partnership, limited liability company, and corporation. Each structure has certain advantages and disadvantages that should be considered. Choosing the appropriate organizational structure for your business is one of the most important decisions made and may require advice from an attorney, accountant or other professional advisor.
Hover your mouse over the icon next to each business type for further information.
- Business Type
- Business Ownership
- Business Locations
- Business Contact Information
- Business Activities
- Maryland Department of Business & Economic Development
- Start a Business in Maryland
- Maryland's Business License Information System
- Maryland Made Easy
- Maryland Business Licenses Online
- Maryland Small Business & Technology Development Center
- U.S. Small Business Administration
- Help for Small Businesses (SCORE)